How to ask questions as a user of Yade (or any other computer code)
If you are directed to this page, it could mean that you asked a question to one of our mailing lists in an inappropriate way. Please check the tips below and try to improve your question.
If you spontaneously decided to read this page: congratulations! We hope it will be useful.
1. Please don't send questions directly by emails to yade-users. Instead, use the "Answer" tool provided by launchpad, which helps sorting questions and answers. Once, a question is asked there, you will still receive answers in your mailbox, and you can "reply" to them with your email client. When the question is answered please mark it as such in the launchpad interface. If you want to show appreciation towards a particular decisive answer, you may click the button "This solved my question" (the corresponding user will be rewarded with Launchpad karma !)
2. Whenever you have a problem, try to describe it in a concise and accurate way. Elements of context can be useful sometimes (I'm trying to achieve this or that, I'm beginner/advanced/expert in Python, etc.) but they should be very very short. Avoid long discussions.
3. Together with problem statement, send also a code reproducing your problem. Try to send it as a MWE (Minimal Working Example™). It should be:
- minimal = short (it is difficult to find mistakes in long pieces of code and it is usually much more annoying).
- working = before sending, test it to be sure it is working (it has no syntax errors etc.).
4. Together with the above information, send also the version of Yade you are using. If your question is linked to compilation issues, tell which operating system you use.
5. Do not merge different questions in one single post, even if - in your mind - they are connected to one single project. If your question received satisfying answer(s), mark it answered immediatly. Do not use the same thread to jump to another question, open a new question instead.
6. Train your empathy on this example (a fictious but archetypal question):
"Hello, I was trying to modelize my problem but python was returning an error. So, I changed my engine but now yade segfaults. Can you please help?"