1st Yade Workshop
Yet Another Discrete Element Workshop
Grenoble, July 7-9, 2014
The 1st Yade Workshop will be held on 7-9 July in Grenoble, France.
Particle-scale modeling is still an area of very active developments, decades after the pioneering papers of Peter Cundall. A large part of these developments is mirrored by contributions to the open source platform Yade-DEM.
The main objective of this workshop is to gather people interested in DEM and DEM-related developments, with special focus on algorithmic issues, performance, parallelization, new models and couplings. A full session will be devoted to the various methods incorporating the effects of one or two fluids phases in granular models. Some time will be allocated to applications of the DEM, providing an overview of the current trends - especially those requiring original developments.
The last day will take the form of short talks and less formal meetings focused on the Yade-DEM project. A coding session will be organised for Yade devs, and coordinated by Klaus Thoeni.
The 1st Yade Workshop will be an opportunity for the people developping Yade-DEM and other DEM codes to meet each other, share ideas and elaborate workplans and cooperations.
Contact & Registration
For submission of contributions, registration and practical informations, do not hesitate to email us.
A template registration form is here, please fill in your data and send it to the above adress.
- Anton Gladky (TU Freiberg)
- Klaus Thoeni (Univ. Newcastle AU)
- Alexander Eulitz (TU Berlin)
- Frédéric Donzé (Univ. Grenoble)
- Jan Stránský (TU Prague)
- Jérôme Duriez(Univ. Grenoble)
- Christian Jakob (TU Freiberg)
- Burak ER
- François Kneib(IRSTEA Grenoble)
- Václav Šmilauer (Prague)
- Ricardo Pieralisi (Univ. Catalunya)
- Janek Kozicki (TU Gdansk)
- Emanuele Catalano (Itasca CG Lyon)
- Bruno Chareyre (Grenoble Inst. of Tech. / 3SR Lab)
- Caroline Chalak (Grenoble Inst. of Tech. / 3SR Lab)
Days 1-2 - New models and couplings
Applications of the DEM
- Applications of DEM in various fields
- Complex shapes, clumps
- Wires, grids, membranes
- Multidomain DEM-FEM
- Multiscale DEMxFEM
- DEM vs. fluid flow (different types of)
- Three-phase models
- Other multiphysics couplings
- A review of DEM codes
- Couplings different softwares via Python
- Operating systems
- Compilation time (of Yade-DEM...)
Performance and parallelization
- Contact detection
- OMP vs. MPI vs. GPU
Day 3 (limited number of participants)
The Yade Project
- Documentation & editorial aspects
Coding Fest (chairman: Klaus Thoeni)
- Collaborative work on Yade code/website
The workshop is supported by Maimosine.